Noir is French for black and is a type of fiction or a film that has tough characters and is cynical, bleak and pessimistic in nature.
An example of noir is the film Citizen Kane.
- film noir
- fiction in which mood, plot, etc. are like those of film noir
Origin of noirFr, black
of or characteristic of noir or film noir
- Of or relating to the film noir genre.
- Of or relating to a genre of crime literature featuring tough, cynical characters and bleak settings.
- Suggestive of danger or violence.
Origin of noirShort for film noir Sense 2, short for French roman noir black novel
(comparative more noir, superlative most noir)
- (film, TV) Of or pertaining to film noir, or the atmosphere associated with that genre
- (film and TV) A production in the style of film noir
From film noir and French noir