nine to fivenine·-to-five
- The definition of nine to five is the normal work schedule for most jobs.
An example of nine to five is the hours you are normally required to work as a secretary.
- The definition of a nine to five is a normal and routine job. The term is often used to describe boring or unfulfilling jobs.
An example of a nine to five might be working at a fast food restaurant just to make a paycheck if you have no interest in food.
Origin of nine-to-fivereferring to 9:00 and 5:00
(comparative more nine-to-five, superlative most nine-to-five)
- Of a job, beginning at 9 a.m. and ending at 5 p.m., the usual office hours in the US, the UK and elsewhere.
- From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Nine to five, what a way to make a living; barely getting by, it's all taking and no giving. - 9 to 5 - Dolly Parton
(plural nine to fives)
- A typical working day.
- Going back to the nine to five after the weekend can be depressing.
From the hours that workers in offices, etc, typically work in the US, the UK and various other countries.