Origin of nine-to-fivereferring to 9:00 and 5:00
nine to fivenine·-to-five
- The definition of nine to five is the normal work schedule for most jobs.
An example of nine to five is the hours you are normally required to work as a secretary.
- The definition of a nine to five is a normal and routine job. The term is often used to describe boring or unfulfilling jobs.
An example of a nine to five might be working at a fast food restaurant just to make a paycheck if you have no interest in food.
(comparative more nine-to-five, superlative most nine-to-five)
- Of a job, beginning at 9 a.m. and ending at 5 p.m., the usual office hours in the US, the UK and elsewhere.
- From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Nine to five, what a way to make a living; barely getting by, it's all taking and no giving. - 9 to 5 - Dolly Parton
(plural nine to fives)
- A typical working day.
- Going back to the nine to five after the weekend can be depressing.
From the hours that workers in offices, etc, typically work in the US, the UK and various other countries.
- If your dress is low-cut, see-through, needs a pin to hold the bust line together, or requires a jacket to look appropriate, then the odds are good that the dress is not nine-to-five ready.
- They may also face the resentment of coworkers who are required to keep a nine-to-five schedule.
- You may want to consider this bag for your nine-to-five workweek.