These items are aides to navigation.
- Navigation is defined as the act or process of planning out a route or directing the travels of a boat, ship, car, person etc..
When a GPS device plans out your route and tells you where to go and when to turn, this is an example of GPS navigation.
- the act or practice of navigating
- the science of locating the position and plotting the course of ships and aircraft
- traffic by ship
Origin of navigationClassical Latin navigatio
- The theory and practice of navigating, especially the charting of a course for a ship or aircraft.
- Travel or traffic by vessels, especially commercial shipping.
(usually uncountable, plural navigations)
From Latin nāvigātiōnem, accusative singular of nāvigātiō (“sailing, navigation”), from nāvigātus, perfect passive participle of nāvigō (“sail”).