- Navigation is defined as the act or process of planning out a route or directing the travels of a boat, ship, car, person etc..
When a GPS device plans out your route and tells you where to go and when to turn, this is an example of GPS navigation.
These items are aides to navigation.
navigation definition by Webster's New World
- the act or practice of navigating
- the science of locating the position and plotting the course of ships and aircraft
- traffic by ship
Origin: Classical Latin navigatio
navigation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The theory and practice of navigating, especially the charting of a course for a ship or aircraft.
- Travel or traffic by vessels, especially commercial shipping.
- navˌi·gaˈtion·al adjective
- navˌi·gaˈtion·al·ly adverb