- The definition of a millennium is a period of 1000 years or is an anniversary of the passage of 1000 years.
- An example of a millennium is the 1000 years from year 1000 to the year 2000.
- The year 2000 was an example of the millennium.
millennium definition by Webster's New World
- any period of 1,000 years: 2000 through 1001 is the 2d millennium
- a period of 1,000 years reckoned from a certain time, esp. from the beginning of the Christian Era (1): the year A.D. 2001 marks the beginning of the third millennium
- a 1,000th anniversary or its commemoration
- any period of great happiness, peace, prosperity, etc.; imagined golden age
Origin: Modern Latin ; from Classical Latin mille, thousand plush annus, year (after Classical Latin biennium): see annual
millennium definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. mil·len·ni·a or mil·len·ni·ums
- A span of one thousand years.
- A thousand-year period of holiness mentioned in Revelation 20, during which Jesus and his faithful followers are to rule on earth.
- A hoped-for period of joy, serenity, prosperity, and justice.
- A thousandth anniversary.
Origin: New Latin mīllennium : Latin mīlle, thousand; see gheslo- in Indo-European roots + Latin annus, year; see at- in Indo-European roots.
- mil·lenˈni·al adjective
- mil·lenˈni·al·ism noun
- mil·lenˈni·al·ist noun
- mil·lenˈni·al·ly adverb
millennium - Computer Definition
(1) One thousand years. As it pertains to the calendar, we recently passed through the second millennium (January 1, 1001 to December 31, 2000), and the third millennium began January 1, 2001.
(2) (Windows Millennium) See Windows ME.
millennium - Cultural Definition
A period of a thousand years foretold in the Book of Revelation. During the millennium, those who have been faithful to Jesus and who have not worshiped the Antichrist will reign with Jesus over the Earth. According to the Book of Revelation, the millennium will precede the final battle for control of the universe; Judgment Day will come afterward.
- The meaning of the Bible's (see also Bible) words about the millennium has been much debated by Christians (see also Christian). Prophecies about the millennium are part of the basic doctrine of several denominations, including Jehovah's Witnesses.
- Figuratively, a “millennium” is a period of great justice and happiness on Earth.
millennium - Phrases/Idioms