- The definition of a microcosm is a small subset of a whole that is generally considered to be representative of the whole.
An example of a microcosm is a small sect of the population which is surveyed in order to get an idea of the opinions of the general population.
- man regarded as an epitome of the world
- a community regarded as a miniature or epitome of the world
- Ecol. a small ecosystem, as a pond
Origin: Middle English microcosme from Midieval Latin microcosmus from Late Greek mikros kosmos, little world: see micro- and amp; cosmos
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Origin: Middle English microcosme, man as a little world, from Old French, from Late Latin mīcrocosmus, from Greek mīkros kosmos : mīkros, small + kosmos, world, order.
- miˌcro·cosˈmic , miˌcro·cosˈmi·cal adjective
- miˌcro·cosˈmi·cal·ly adverb