- a usually ceramic pot for making soup
- soup made in, or as if in, such a pot
- A large covered earthenware or metal cooking pot.
- A small, covered earthenware casserole.
Origin of marmiteFrench, from Old French, hypocritical, marmite (possibly because the food is hidden inside) : marm-, akin to marmouser, to murmur + mite, cat (of imitative origin).
- A rounded earthenware cooking pot.
From French marmite.
- May be a trademark.
(third-person singular simple present Marmites, present participle Marmiting, simple past and past participle Marmited)
- To apply Marmite to.
French marmite. The common noun sense derives from an advertising campaign featuring the slogan "love it or hate it".