- any of a genus (Tagetes) of annual plants of the composite family, with chiefly red, yellow, or orange flowers
- the flower of any of these
- any of several other plants, usually of the composite family, as the pot marigold
Origin of marigoldMiddle English marigolde from Marie (prob. the Virgin Mary) + gold, gold
- Any of various American plants of the genus Tagetes of the composite family, widely cultivated for their showy yellow or orange flowers.
- Any of several plants related to the marigold or having similar flowers, such as the marsh marigold.
Origin of marigoldMiddle English Mari Mary ( ultimately from Greek Maria ; see marionette . ) golde marigold ( from Old English) ( probably akin to gold )
(comparative more marigold, superlative most marigold)
- Having the color of marigolds, a bright yellowish-orange hue.