marigold definition by Webster's New World
- any of a genus (Tagetes) of annual plants of the composite family, with chiefly red, yellow, or orange flowers
- the flower of any of these
- any of several other plants, usually of the composite family, as the pot marigold
Origin: Middle English marigolde ; from Marie (prob. the Virgin Mary) plush gold, gold
marigold definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of various American plants of the genus Tagetes, widely cultivated for their showy yellow or orange flowers.
- Any of several plants related to the marigold or having similar flowers, such as the marsh marigold.
Origin: Middle English : Mari, Mary, ultimately from Greek Maria; see marionette + golde, marigold (from Old English golde; probably akin to gold).