- a model of the human body, used by tailors, window dressers, artists, etc.
- a woman whose work is modeling clothes in stores, etc.
Origin of mannequinFrench from Dutch manneken: see manikin
- A life-size full or partial representation of the human body, used for the fitting or displaying of clothes; a dummy.
- A jointed model of the human body used by artists, especially to demonstrate the arrangement of drapery. Also called lay figure .
- One who models clothes; a model.
Origin of mannequinFrench from Old French little man, figurine from Middle Dutch mannekijn ; see manikin .