- a member of a large group of indigenous peoples of the Malay Peninsula, the Malay Archipelago, and nearby islands
- the Western Austronesian family of languages of these peoples, including the official languages of Malaysia and Indonesia
Origin of MalayMalay melaya ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- A member of a people inhabiting the Malay Peninsula and parts of the western Malay Archipelago.
- The Austronesian language of the Malays. Also called Bahasa Melayu.
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of the Malays or their language.
- Of or relating to Malaysia, the Malay Peninsula, or the Malay Archipelago.
Origin of MalayObsolete Dutch Malayo, from Malay Melayu.
- (law) Abbreviation of Malaysia.
This is the customary abbreviation of this term as used in case citations. See, e.g., The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation, Nineteenth Edition (2010), "Geographical Terms: Foreign countries and regions", Table T10.3, p. 438-443.