(ma′drəs; mə dras′, -dräs′)
- a fine, firm cotton cloth, usually striped or plaid, used for shirts, dresses, etc.
- a durable silk cloth, usually striped
- a figured cotton or rayon cloth in leno weave, used for draperies
- a large, bright-colored kerchief of silk or cotton
See madras in American Heritage Dictionary 4
- A cotton cloth of fine texture, usually with a plaid, striped, or checked pattern.
- A silk, generally striped, cloth.
a. A light cotton cloth used for drapery.
b. A similar cloth of rayon.
- A large handkerchief of brightly colored silk or cotton, often worn as a turban.
Origin: After Madras (Chennai), India
Learn more about madras