In anatomy, lymph nodes are considered to be part of the immune system. Their responsibility is to protect the body from infections, bacteria and disease. Lymph nodes do this by producing white blood cells, scientifically referred to as lymphocytes.
They filter out harmful things that enter the body such as bacteria, viruses, and dead tissue and eliminate it from the body in an attempt to make the body healthy again. When one of these things enters the body, the immune system is activated to fight against it and the lymph nodes swell and they begin to produce large numbers of white blood cells.
There are approximately 500 to 700 lymph nodes that are scattered throughout various locations in the human body.
Finding the Twelve Sets of Lymph Nodes
1. Head and Neck
The first set of lymph nodes are known as the head and neck lymph nodes.
- These lymph nodes are located primarily along the jaw and the neck or throat.
- Head and neck lymph nodes are also known as cervical lymph nodes.
2. Axillary Lymph Nodes
The second set of lymph nodes are known as the axillary lymph nodes.
- These are the lymph nodes located under the armpit and near the mammary glands.
3. Mediastinal Nodes
The third set of lymph nodes are known as mediastinal nodes.
- These are the group of lymph nodes located in the chest.
- The lymph nodes located in this area are not specifically named.
The fourth set of lymph nodes are located in the lungs.
- These are located behind the rib cage behind all of the mediastinal nodes.
The fifth set of lymph nodes are located in the arms.
- These lymph nodes are located in the upper limbs of the body on both sides of the body.
6. Front Mesentric Nodes
The sixth set of lymph nodes are known as the front messentric nodes.
- These are the nodes located in the small intestines.
7. Back Messentric Nodes
The seventh set of lymph nodes are known as the back messentric nodes.
- These are the nodes located in the posterior abdominal wall.
8. Inguinal Nodes of the Female Body
The eigth set of lymph nodes in the body are known as Inguinal nodes of the female body.
- These lymph nodes are located in the perineum of the female body or the genital area.
9. Inguinal Nodes of the Male Body
The ninth set of lymph nodes are the Inguinal lymph nodes of the male.
- These lymph nodes are located in the pelvis and genital area of the male.
10 and 11. Leg Nodes
The tenth and eleventh set of lymph nodes are known as the leg nodes.
- These lymph nodes are located in the front and back of the lower limbs or the legs.