- the act of lucubrating; laborious work, study, or writing, esp. that done late at night
- something produced by such study, etc.; esp., a learned or carefully elaborated work
- any literary composition: humorous usage suggesting pedantry
Origin of lucubrationClassical Latin lucubratio ; from lucubrate
- Laborious study or thought.
- often lucubrations Writing produced by laborious effort or study, especially when viewed as pedantic.
From the Latin lÅ«cubrÄtiÅ (“nighttime study"), from lÅ«cubrÅ (“work by artificial light"), from lÅ«x (“light").