U.S. Mil. an officer ranking above a major and below a colonel
- A commissioned rank in the US Army, Air Force, or Marine Corps that is above major and below colonel.
- One who holds this rank.
(plural lieutenant colonels or lieutenants colonel)
- An army officer in most countries, ranking below a colonel and above a major. Often the commander of a battalion or the executive officer of a regiment.
- An officer in the United States Marine Corps or Royal Marines, of equivalent rank to their counterparts in the army.
- An officer in the United States Air Force, Air Force Reserve, or Air National Guard, ranking below colonel and above major. Often the commander of a squadron or the executive officer of a wing.
When used as a title, it is always capitalized.
- Example: Lieutenant Colonel John Doe.
The rank corresponds to pay grade O-5. Abbreviations: LTC.
- Alternative form of lieutenant colonel.