- The definition of leonine is someone or something that is like a lion.
An example of a leonine person is a person with a big mane of fluffy hair.
This womans hair could be described as leonine.
Origin of leonineMiddle English ; from Old French leonin ; from Classical Latin leoninus ; from leo, lion
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a lion.
- Resembling or suggestive of a lion, as in being powerful or dignified.
Origin of leonineMiddle English, from Old French leonin, from Latin leōnīnus, from leō, leōn-, lion; see Lion .
(comparative more leonine, superlative most leonine)
- Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the lion.
- His leonine face scared the young children.
Latin leÅnÄ«nus 'of a lion; lion-like'.