- Itself is a form of "it" which is used to put emphasis on something.
- An example of itself is a self cleaning oven; the oven cleans itself.
- An example of itself is a dog scratching their back until it bled; the dog scatched itself.
itself definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
a form of it, used:
- as an intensifier: the work itself is easy
- as a reflexive: the dog bit itself
- with the meaning “its real, true, or normal self” [the bird is not itself today]: in this construction, it functions as an adjective and self as a noun; when they are separated, the form its is used: its own sweet self
itself definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- That one identical with it:a. Used reflexively as the direct or indirect object of a verb or the object of a preposition: The cat scratched itself.b. Used for emphasis: The trouble is in the machine itself.c. Used in an absolute construction: Itself no great poem, it still reveals talent.
- Its normal or healthy condition or state: The car is acting itself again since we changed the oil.