- lack of capacity, power, or fitness; disability
- legal ineligibility or disqualification
Origin of incapacityFrench incapacité from Medieval Latin incapacitas
- Inadequate strength or ability; lack of capacity.
- A defect or handicap; a disability.
- Law Disqualification from taking part in a legal proceeding because of mental or physical disability or because of lack of legal power or authority.
Negative in- + capacity
incapacity - Legal Definition
- A lack of physical or mental ability or standing.
- Inability to take actions that are legally effective, such as signing a contract, due to age, mental status, or other factors.