- The condition of being incompetent
incompetency - Legal Definition
- Absence of legal capacity to perform certain acts, such as testifying at a trial.
- Absence of the legal capacity to understand the charges against one and to participate in one’s own trial.
Variant of incompetent
- without adequate ability, knowledge, fitness, etc.; failing to meet requirements; incapable; unskillful
- not legally qualified
- lacking strength and sufficient flexibility to transmit pressure, thus breaking or flowing under stress: said of rock structures
Origin of incompetentFrench incompétent ; from Late Latin incompetens: see in- and amp; competent
an incompetent person; esp., one who is mentally deficient