- Present participle of impale.
- The act of something being impaled.
Variant of impale
transitive verbimpaled, impaling
- Rare to surround with or as with a palisade
- to pierce through with, or fix on, something pointed; transfix
- to punish or torture by fixing on a stake
- to make helpless, as if fixed on a stake: impaled by her glance
- Heraldry to join (two coats of arms) side by side on one shield
Origin of impaleFrench empaler ; from Medieval Latin impalare ; from Classical Latin in-, on + palus, a stake, pole