The definition of illiteracy is lack of knowledge in a particular subject or is the inability to write and read.
When a person is not able to read even simple books and is not able to write anything more than his own name, this is an example of illiteracy.
- the state or quality of being illiterate; lack of education or culture; esp., an inability to read or write
- pl. -·cies a mistake (in writing or speaking) suggesting poor or inadequate education
- The condition of being unable to read and write.
- An error, as in writing or speech, made by or thought to be characteristic of one who is illiterate. See Usage Note at literate.
- The condition or quality of being ignorant or unknowledgeable in a particular subject or field: cultural illiteracy; scientific illiteracy.
(countable and uncountable, plural illiteracies)
in- + literacy