- not readily convertible into cash
- characterized by an insufficiency of cash
Origin of illiquidil- (var. of in-) + liquid
- Not readily converted into cash: illiquid assets.
- Lacking cash or liquid assets.
(comparative more illiquid, superlative most illiquid)
- (finance) lacking liquidity
- Investment in illiquid assets may prove to be a mistake if the market turns down.
From il- + liquid.
illiquid - Investment & Finance Definition
- An investment that can’t be quickly converted into cash. Such investments include limited partnerships, real estate, or investment into securities or debt of a company that is thinly traded or which doesn’t trade on major exchanges.
- A company that doesn’t have sufficient cash flow to pay its interest charges and expenses.