- section of Los Angeles, Calif., once the site of many U.S. film studios; hence, the U.S. film industry or its life, world, etc.
- city on the SE coast of Fla.
Origin of Hollywoodholly + wood
A district of Los Angeles, California, south of the Hollywood Hills, part of the eastern Santa Monica Mountains. It has long been considered the center of the US movie industry.
The US movie industry, especially the group of studios and celebrities that produce big-budget films for popular audiences.
- Of or relating to the mainstream US movie industry: a Hollywood movie; a Hollywood producer.
- Characteristic of sensational or escapist films produced by Hollywood: a Hollywood ending.
- Showy or pretentious: their clothes were pure Hollywood.
Origin of HollywoodAfter Hollywood 1 California