- The definition of Hindi is related to North Indian or the Hindu religion.
An example of something Hindi is clothing traditionally worn in North Indian.
- Hindi is defined as the major language in India.
An example of a word in Hindi is कोड़ा.
Hindi definition by Webster's New World
- of or associated with N India
- of Hindi
Origin: Hindi hindī ; from Hind: see Hindu
Hindi definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A group of vernacular Indic dialects spoken in northern India.
- The literary and official language of northern India that is based on these dialects. It is written in Devanagari and uses Sanskrit as a resource language.
Origin: Hindi Hindī, from Hind, India, from Persian, from Old Persian Hinduš, Sind, from Sanskrit sindhuḥ, river.
- Hinˈdi adjective