high-toned definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Now Rare high in tone; high-pitched
- characterized by dignity, lofty moral or intellectual quality, high principles, etc.: often used ironically or humorously
- ☆ Informal of or imitating the manners, attitudes, etc. of the upper classes
high-toned definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Intellectually, morally, or socially superior.
- Informal Pretentiously elegant or fashionable: a high-toned restaurant.