- the highest level to which the tide rises; high water
- the time when the tide is at this level
- any culminating point or time
high tidehigh tide
- a. The tide at its fullest, when the water reaches its highest level.b. The time at which this tide occurs. Also called high water .
- A point of culmination; a climax.
(plural high tides)
- At high-tide, accordingly, the town presents a very attractive appearance, but at low-tide, when the mud banks are exposed, it seems dirty and repulsive, and the noxious exhalations are extremely trying.