- Hemisphere is defined as half of the world, globe or brain.
- An example of hemisphere is the southern part of the world.
- An example of hemisphere is the left side of the brain.
- half of a sphere, globe, or celestial body; specif.,
- any of the halves into which the celestial sphere is divided by either the celestial equator or the ecliptic
- any of the halves of the earth: the earth is divided by the equator into the N and S hemispheres and by a meridian into the E Hemisphere (containing Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia) and the W Hemisphere (containing the Americas and Oceania)
- a model or map of any of these halves
- the countries and peoples of any of the earth's hemispheres
- an area of action, knowledge, etc.
- either lateral half of the cerebrum or cerebellum
Origin: Middle English hemisperie from Classical Latin hemisphaerium from Glassical Greek hēmisphairion: see hemi- and amp; sphere
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A half of a sphere bounded by a great circle.b. A half of a symmetrical, approximately spherical object as divided by a plane of symmetry.
- Either half of the celestial sphere as divided by the ecliptic, the celestial equator, or the horizon.
- Either the northern or southern half of the earth as divided by the equator or the eastern or western half as divided by a meridian.
- Anatomy Either of the lateral halves of the cerebrum; a cerebral hemisphere.
- hemˌi·spherˈic , hemˌi·spherˈi·cal adjective
- hemˌi·spherˈi·cal·ly adverb
hemisphere - Cultural Definition
Any half of the Earth's surface.
hemisphere - Medical Definition
- A half of a symmetrical spherical structure as divided by a plane of symmetry.
- Either of the lateral halves of the cerebrum; a cerebral hemisphere.
- hemispheric , hemˌi·spherˈi·cal adjective
hemisphere - Science Definition
- One half of a sphere, formed by a plane that passes through the center of the sphere.
- Either the northern or southern half of the Earth as divided by the equator, or the eastern or western half as divided by a meridian, especially the prime meridian.
- One half of the celestial sphere as divided by any of various great circles, especially the celestial equator and the ecliptic. See more at celestial sphere.
- See cerebral hemisphere.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.