- a game in which a small ball is batted against a wall or walls with the hand, alternately by opposing teams of one or two players
- the small rubber ball used in this game
- a. A game that is played, often on a four-walled court, by two or more players who alternately hit a small rubber ball against the front wall with the hand, with play stopping if the ball bounces twice on the floor or does not reach the front wall.b. The ball used in this game.
- Team handball.
- often hand ball A violation of the rules in soccer in which a player other than the goalie inside the penalty area carries, strikes, or propels the ball with the hand or arm. A hand ball is usually called when the hand or arm is away from the body and touches the ball.
(countable and uncountable, plural handballs)
- (uncountable) A team sport where two teams of seven players each (six players and a goalkeeper) pass and bounce a ball trying to throw it in the goal of the opposing team.
- (countable) The small rubber ball used in the sport of handball.
- (countable, soccer) The offence of touching the ball with the hands.
- (uncountable, US) An American sport in which players must, in turn, bounce a ball off of a wall, taking care not to miss their turn.
- (countable, US) The small rubber ball used in this sport.
- (countable, Australian Rules Football) An act of passing a football by holding it with one hand and hitting it with the other.
- (Ireland, uncountable) An Irish sport, very similar to the American sport, in which players must bounce a ball off a wall.
(third-person singular simple present handballs, present participle handballing, simple past and past participle handballed)
- To manually load or unload a container, trailer, or to otherwise manually move bulk goods (often on pallets) from one type of transport receptacleto another.
- (soccer) To illegally touch the ball with the hand or arm.
- If the defender handballs in the penalty area, a penalty is awarded.
- (Australian Rules Football) To (legally) pass a football by holding it with one hand and hitting it with the other.
- (sexuality, slang) To insert a hand into someone's anus.