Variant of ham
- the part of the leg behind the knee
- the back of the thigh
- the thigh and the buttock together
- the hock or hind leg of a four-legged animal
- the upper part of a hog's hind leg, or meat from this, salted, dried, smoked, etc.
- ☆ Informal a licensed amateur radio operator
Origin: < hamfatter, an actor of low grade, said to be so named from former use of ham fat to remove makeupSlang an amateur or incompetent performer, esp. an actor who performs with showy exaggeration
Origin: ME hamme < OE hamm, akin to Ger dial. hamme < IE base *konemo-, shin bone (> Gr knēmē): hamsenses & infl. by am(ateur)
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.