- Present participle of grit.
- The act by which something is gritted.
Variant of grit
- rough, hard particles of sand, stone, etc.
- the texture of stone, with regard to the fineness or coarseness of its grain
- any of several sandstones with large, sharp grains, often used for grindstones
- ☆ stubborn courage; brave perseverance; pluck
Origin of gritwith Early Modern English vowel shortening ; from Middle English grete ; from Old English greot, akin to German griess Indo-European base an unverified form ghrēu-, to rub hard over, crumble from source great
transitive verbgritted, gritting
- to cover with grit
- ☆ to clench or grind (the teeth) in anger or determination
to make a grating sound