Variant of grit
- rough, hard particles of sand, stone, etc.
- the texture of stone, with regard to the fineness or coarseness of its grain
- any of several sandstones with large, sharp grains, often used for grindstones
- ☆ stubborn courage; brave perseverance; pluck
Origin: with Early ModE vowel shortening < ME grete < OE greot, akin to Ger griess IE base *ghrēu-, to rub hard over, crumble > great
- to cover with grit
- ☆ to clench or grind (the teeth) in anger or determination
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.