Origin of glasswortglass + wort
Origin of glasswortFrom its former use in making glass
(countable and uncountable, plural glassworts)
- Any plant of the salt-tolerant genus Salicornia, once burned to produce the ash used to make soda glass.
- Other salt-tolerant plants, especially those used to produce such ash.
- Species of the European genus Sarcocornia
- Species of the Australian genus Tecticornia
- Arthrocnemum subterminale
- Eriogonum salicornioides
- Kali turgida, formerly Salsola kali
- Other plants called samphire.
- rock samphire, Crithmum maritimum
- golden samphire, Inula crithmoides