- The definition of a gene is a unit on a chromosome that determines a specific trait in an organism, or a male's name.
- An example of a gene is a chromosome unit that determines a person's eye color.
- An example of a man named Gene is the actor Gene Wilder.
-gene definition by Webster's New World
Origin: ; from German gen, short for pangen (; from pan-, pan- plush -gen, -gen, after pangenesis)
-gene definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Origin: German Gen, from gen-, begetting, in Greek words (such as genos, race, offspring); see genə- in Indo-European roots.
-gene - Cultural Definition
-gene - Medical Definition
-gene - Science Definition
Variant of -gen
- something that produces: hydrogen
- something produced (in a specified way): pathogen
Origin: French -gène ; from Classical Greek -genēs, born ; from base of gignesthai, to be born, become: see genus