- Of or resembling a gallop, especially in rhythm or rapidity.
- Developing or progressing at an accelerated rate: galloping technology.
- Medicine Of or relating to a disease that progresses rapidly toward a fatal conclusion: galloping consumption.
- Present participle of gallop.
Variant of gallop
- to go at a gallop
- to move, progress, or act very fast; hurry
Origin of gallopMiddle English galopen ; from Old French galoper ; from Frankish an unverified form walahlaupan, to run well ; from an unverified form wala, akin to well + an unverified form hlaupan, to run, akin to leap
to cause to gallop
- the fastest gait of a horse or other animal, consisting of a succession of leaping strides with all the feet off the ground at one time
- a ride on a galloping animal
- any fast pace, speedy action, or rapid progression
Origin of gallopOFr galop