- Of or resembling a gallop, especially in rhythm or rapidity.
- Developing or progressing at an accelerated rate: galloping technology.
- Medicine Of or relating to a disease that progresses rapidly toward a fatal conclusion: galloping consumption.
Variant of gallop
- to go at a gallop
- to move, progress, or act very fast; hurry
Origin: Middle English galopen from Old French galoper from Frankish an unverified form walahlaupan, to run well from an unverified form wala, akin to well plush an unverified form hlaupan, to run, akin to leap
- the fastest gait of a horse or other animal, consisting of a succession of leaping strides with all the feet off the ground at one time
- a ride on a galloping animal
- any fast pace, speedy action, or rapid progression
Origin: OFr galop
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.