This meteor is a fire ball.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- something resembling a ball of fire; specif.,
- a large, bright meteor
- ball lightning
- a high-temperature, luminous ball of gas which forms shortly after a nuclear explosion
- Historical a ball of explosive or combustible material thrown as a weapon in battle
- ☆ Informal a vigorous, energetic person
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A brilliantly burning sphere.
- A highly luminous, intensely hot spherical cloud of dust, gas, and vapor generated by a nuclear explosion.
- A meteor that is as bright or brighter than the brightest planets.
- See ball of fire.