- Fast forward is defined as to cause something to advance at quicker than normal speed.
An example of fast forward is when you press the button on your remote to jump ahead so you do not have to watch commercials.
The fast forward button.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- the setting on an electronic playback device, as a VCR, allowing the user to skip portions and advance at an accelerated speed to a later section of a disc, tape, etc.
- the act or condition of speeding up and advancing
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun or fast forward
- a. A function on an electronic recording device, such as a videocassette or tape player, that permits rapid advancement of the tape.b. The mechanism, such as a button, used to activate this function.
- Informal A rapidly changing situation or series of events: “The trial was on fast forward” (Nelson DeMille).