- Advocacy for or work toward protecting the natural environment from destruction or pollution.
- The theory that environment rather than heredity is the primary influence on intellectual growth and cultural development.
- en·viˌron·menˈtal·ist noun
Variant of environmentalist
- a person who accepts the theory that environment is of overriding importance in determining individual characteristics
- a person working to solve environmental problems, as air and water pollution, the exhaustion of natural resources, and uncontrolled population growth
- environmentalism noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.