- The definition of endothermic is a chemical reaction that is accompanied by the absorption of heat, or an organism that generates heat to maintain its temperature.
- A chemical reaction that works only if heat is absorbed is an example of a reaction that would be described as endothermic.
- A warm-blodded animal would be an example of an endothermic animal.
Warm-blooded animals, like this rabbit, are endothermic animals.
designating, of, or produced by a chemical change in which there is an absorption of heat
Origin of endothermicendo- + thermic
- Chemistry Characterized by or causing the absorption of heat; endoergic.
- Biology Of or relating to an organism that generates heat to maintain its body temperature, typically above the temperature of its surroundings; warm-blooded.
(comparative more endothermic, superlative most endothermic)