Variant of enamel
- a glassy, colored, opaque substance fused to surfaces of metals, glass, and pottery as an ornamental or protective coating
- any smooth, hard, glossy coating or surface like enamel
- the hard, white, glossy coating of the crown of a tooth
- anything enameled; enameled ware or a piece of jewelry, etc. produced in enamel
- paint that produces a smooth, hard, glossy surface when it dries
Origin: ME < the v.
- to inlay or cover with enamel
- to decorate in various colors, as if with enamel
- to form an enamel-like surface on
Origin: ME enamelen < Anglo-Fr enamayller < en- (see en-) + amayl < OFr esmail, enamel < Gmc *smalts, a glaze, melted substance: for IE base see smelt
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.