- Present participle of drug.
- The act of giving a dose of drugs.
Variant of drug
- any substance used as a medicine or as an ingredient in a medicine which kills or inactivates germs, or affects any body function or organ
- Obsolete any substance used in chemistry, dyeing, etc.
- a narcotic, hallucinogen, etc., esp. one that is habit-forming
Origin of drugMiddle English drogge ; from Old French drogue ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Low German drooge (fat), dry (cask), the adjective mistaken as the name of the contents: see dry
drug on the market
a commodity for which there is little or no demand because the supply is so plentiful