a masculine name: dim. Doug
Origin of Douglasfrom Gael, literally , black stream
- 1286?-1330; Scot. military leader: called Black Douglas
- 1358?-88; Scot. military leader
- 1813-61; U.S. politician: noted for his debates with Lincoln in Illinois senatorial campaign (1858)
- 1898-1980; associate justice, U.S. Supreme Court (1939-75)
capital of the Isle of Man
A borough of southeast Isle of Man, England, on the Irish Sea. It is a popular seaside resort and the most important city on the island.x
- A Scottish surname.
- A male given name transferred from the surname.
- The capital of the Isle of Man.
From a place name, Goidelic dubh (“black”) + glas (“stream”).