- having a corner turned down: said of a page in a book, magazine, etc.
- having pages with turned-down corners: a dog-eared paperback
- shabby, run-down, worn-out, etc.: a dog-eared hotel, dog-eared prejudices
Origin of dog-earedsee dog-ear
(comparative more dog-eared, superlative most dog-eared)
- (of a page in a book) Bent or slightly ragged in appearance, especially due to having been read many times.
- The pages in his favorite book were dog-eared from years of reading it at bedtime.
- (of a page in a book) Having the corner folded over, as a sort of bookmark.
- By thumbing to the dog-eared pages, she quickly found the items in the catalog she wanted to order.
- Alternative spelling of dog-eared.