do one's business
Variant of business
- one's work, occupation, or profession
- a special task, duty, or function
- rightful concern or responsibility: no one's business but his own
- a matter, affair, activity, etc.: the business of packing for a trip
- the buying and selling of commodities and services; commerce; trade
- a commercial or industrial establishment; store, factory, etc.
- the trade or patronage of customers
- commercial practice or policy
- a bit of action in a drama, as pouring a drink, intended to establish character, take up a pause in dialogue, etc.
Origin of businessMiddle English bisinesse ; from Old English bisignes: see busy and amp; -ness
- of or for business
- Bridge designating a double intended to penalize one's opponents
do business with
- to engage in commerce with
- to have dealings with
do one's (or its) business
Slang to defecate
give (or get) the business☆
Slang to subject (or be subjected) to rough treatment, practical joking, etc.
Informal to be in earnest