- Dickens is defined as a word used to show confusion, shock or irritation, or is the last name of the famous author Charles Dickens.
- An example of dickens is a question of surprise such as "why in the dickens did that happen?"
- An example of Dickens is the man who wrote "A Christmas Carol," Charles Dickens.
An etching of the novelist Charles Dickens.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Origin: probably ; from Dickon, nickname for Richard
- Dickensian adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A severe reprimand or expression of anger: gave me the dickens for being late.
- Used as an intensive: What in the dickens is that?
Origin: Alteration of devil (influenced by the name Dickens).
, Charles John Huffam Pen name Boz. 1812-1870.
- Dick·enˈsi·an adjective