- Demarcate is defined as to separate or set clear boundaries.
- When you put up a fence to keep your neighbor's off your property and make clear where the property line is, this is an example of when you demarcate.
- When a book reviewer makes clear distinctions between light reading books he reviews and serious literature he reviews, this is an example of when he demarcates.
transitive verbde·mar·cat·ed, de·mar·cat·ing, de·mar·cates
- To set the boundaries of; delimit.
- To separate clearly as if by boundaries; distinguish: demarcate categories.
Origin of demarcateBack-formation from demarcation.
(third-person singular simple present demarcates, present participle demarcating, simple past and past participle demarcated)
Back-formation of demarcation.