Demarcate is defined as to separate or set clear boundaries.verb
- When you put up a fence to keep your neighbor's off your property and make clear where the property line is, this is an example of when you demarcate.
- When a book reviewer makes clear distinctions between light reading books he reviews and serious literature he reviews, this is an example of when he demarcates.
- to set or mark the limits of; delimit
- to mark the difference between; distinguish; separate
Origin: back-form. < demarcation
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb de·mar·cat·ed, de·mar·cat·ing, de·mar·cates
- To set the boundaries of; delimit.
- To separate clearly as if by boundaries; distinguish: demarcate categories.
Origin: Back-formation from demarcation.
- de·marˈcaˌtor noun