degree of freedomdegree of freedom
nounpl. degrees of freedom
- Statistics Any of the unrestricted, independent random variables that constitute a statistic.
- Physics a. Any of the minimum number of coordinates required to specify completely the motion of a mechanical system.b. Any of the independent thermodynamic variables, such as pressure, temperature, or composition, required to specify a system with a given number of phases and components.
(plural degrees of freedom)
- (physics) Any of the coordinates, a minimum number of which are needed to specify the motion of a mechanical system
- (physics) Any of the independent variables required to specify the thermodynamic state of a system containing components and phases
- (mathematics) Any unrestricted variable in a frequency distribution