- The definition of a decade is a period of 10 years.
An example of decade is 1990 to 2000.
- a group of ten
- a period of ten years; esp., in the Gregorian calendar
- officially a ten-year period beginning with the year 1, as 1921-1930, 1931-1940, etc.
- in common usage, a ten-year period beginning with a year 0, as 1920-1929, 1930-1939, etc.
- a division of the rosary consisting of one large bead and ten small beads
Origin: Late Middle English ; from Old French ; from Late Latin decas (gen. decadis) ; from Classical Greek dekas ; from deka, ten
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A period of ten years.
- A group or series of ten.
Origin: Middle English, a group of ten, from Old French, from Late Latin decas, decad-, from Greek dekas, from deka, ten; see dekm̥ in Indo-European roots.