- dead wood on trees
- a useless or burdensome person or thing
- heavy timbers at the bow or, esp., the stern of a wooden ship, just above the keel
- Dead wood, including fallen or standing trees, branches, and stumps.
- One or more people or things considered as burdensome, superfluous, or serving no useful purpose: Management fired all the deadwood in the department as a cost-saving measure.
- also dead wood Sports Fallen bowling pins that remain on the alley.
- Nautical A timber or set of timbers helping to connect the keel of a vessel to the stem or the sternpost.