deadwood definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- dead wood on trees
- ☆ a useless or burdensome person or thing
- heavy timbers at the bow or, esp., the stern of a wooden ship, just above the keel
deadwood definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Dead branches or wood on a tree.
- One that is burdensome or superfluous.
- also dead wood Sports Fallen bowling pins that remain on the alley.
- Nautical The vertical planking between the keel of a vessel and the sternpost, serving as a reinforcement.