- Capable of being consumed: consumable energy.
- Capable of being depleted or worn out by use: consumable paper products.
(comparative more consumable, superlative most consumable)
- A material or product that is produced for consumption.
- printer consumables such as toner and ink cartridges
consumable - Computer Definition
A material that is used up and needs continuous replenishment, such as paper and toner. "The low-tech end of the high-tech field!"
Variant of consume
transitive verbconsumed, consuming
- to destroy, as by fire; do away with
- to use up
- to spend wastefully; squander (time, energy, money, etc.)
- to eat or drink up; devour
- to absorb completely; engross or obsess: consumed with envy, a consuming interest
- to buy for one's personal needs
Origin of consumeMiddle English consumen ; from Old French consumer ; from Classical Latin consumere, to use up, eat, waste ; from com-, together + sumere, to take ; from sub-, under + emere, to buy, take: see redeem
- Now Rare to waste away; perish
- to buy consumer goods or services for one's personal needs