- The definition of constitutionalism is being ruled by basic standards and ideals which are consistent with an overriding rule of law or ethics.
An example of constitutionalism is federal laws of the United States government which are consistent with the U.S. Constitution.
- government according to a constitution
- adherence to constitutional principles or government
- constitutionalist noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Government in which power is distributed and limited by a system of laws that must be obeyed by the rulers.
- a. A constitutional system of government.b. Advocacy of such a system.
- conˌsti·tuˈtion·al·ist noun