The definition of constitutionalism is being ruled by basic standards and ideals which are consistent with an overriding rule of law or ethics.
An example of constitutionalism is federal laws of the United States government which are consistent with the U.S. Constitution.
- government according to a constitution
- adherence to constitutional principles or government
- Government in which power is distributed and limited by a system of laws that the rulers must obey.
- a. A constitutional system of government.b. Advocacy of such a system.
- Philosophical belief in government under a written constitution.