- the territory under the jurisdiction of a constable
- constables, collectively, as of a district
- a police force characterized by a military organization but distinct from the regular army
Origin of constabularyMedieval Latin constabularia
- The body of constables of a district or city.
- The district under the jurisdiction of a constable.
- An armed police force organized like a military unit.
(countable and uncountable, plural constabularies)
- A police force.
- The police in a particular district or area.
Constabulary is a collective noun and usually has no plural. Only when describing groups of constabularies is it used in the plural sense. For example, the constabularies of England and Wales form part of the constabulary of the United Kingdom.