constabulary[kən stab′yə ler′ē]
constabulary definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. constabularies
- the territory under the jurisdiction of a constable
- constables, collectively, as of a district
- a police force characterized by a military organization but distinct from the regular army
Origin: Midieval Latin constabularia
of constables or a constabulary
constabulary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. con·stab·u·lar·ies
- The body of constables of a district or city.
- The district under the jurisdiction of a constable.
- An armed police force organized like a military unit.
Of or relating to constables, constabularies, or their jurisdictions.