noun pl. conchae
- Anat. any of several structures resembling a shell in form, as a thin, bony projection inside the nasal cavity, the hollow of the external ear, or the whole external ear
- Archit. the half dome covering an apse
L: see conch
See concha in American Heritage Dictionary 4
noun pl. con·chae (-kēˌ)
- Anatomy Any of various structures, such as the external ear, that resemble a shell in shape. Also called conch.
- Architecture The half dome over an apse.
Origin: Late Latin, semidome
Origin: , from Latin, mussel shell; see Conch
- conˈchal (-kəl) adjective
Learn more about concha